5 Jul 2009

Do not betray the beautiful lady

Finally, a new box....this one has been in my head only for sometime. I've been working on a theme of 'Kill or Cure' (building up to work for Origin) which ties in many interests for me but especially botanics and pharmaceuticals (my first degree was Biomedical Sciences (Pharmacology)....in brackets as it was a modular course and I chose many toxicology and pharmacolgy subjects but also neuroscience and reproductive physiology...great course!).

I started from the plant Atropa Belladonna (or deadly nightshade) a highly toxic plant that has had many uses throughout the centuries, mainly poisoning, but know is used to make Atropine. I was interested in the folklore of Belladonna and how it is thought that the name Atropa was derived from Atropos, one of the three fates in Greek mythology (she was the one that cut the thread of life). More work to come on this subject.

It was the first time that I tried a 'trio' slump....that was fun....lots of watching to make sure it didn't drop too far (wouldn't have fitted in the box!). Also the first time properly using the diamond wheel lathe (mostly on the texture on the turquoise part around the trio).

I would have liked to do much more engraving on the plant piece but the cost of the box was getting a bit silly so had to keep things simple....can be seen at Designs in Castle Douglas right as I write!.....the title is just a simple translation of 'Atropa Belladonna'.


5 comments:

ang said...

kinda creepy context but i love the piece..

Hannah said...

Damn it woman you are just too talented. You make me sick with jealousy! This is fabulous, absolutly fabulous. What a star.

ajsimmons said...

Creepy and fabulous...I can deal with that....thanks ladies!x

doug Fitch said...

Blimey, that's beautiful

Christine H S said...

That's amazing, the inside looks like delicious coconut, all tempting looking. I must make a pilgrimage to Designs to see it!