29 Aug 2009

Cake Stand

Cake stand......I'm not entirely sure what to say about this piece. It's called 'Belladonna', so continuing in the toxic plant theme. I have wanted to make cake stands before and when I found my bargain cactus cake stand I knew I had to work on some. I grew up with my mother making wedding cakes (that was after a full time job, 4 kids and being a Union representative.....as an aside, this is why I grew up thinking women could do everything). These were amazing 3 / 4 tiered fruit cakes, marzipan and royal icing, all magically balanced on plinths with hundreds of handmade and painted flowers decorating all surfaces.

The plates are a mixture of glass sheet and powder construction with diamond point and wheel engraving. I quite like the idea of a 'Toxic Tea Party' so to begin with we have the deadly nightshade cake stand.

The 3rd picture shows it in use on the Homes and Interiors show with these gorgeous mini-cupcakes.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh Amanda, thats amazing! I hope they go down a storm, they'll be snapped up at Origin. You always leave me stuck for words because you keep being more and more incredible!

ang said...

too purdy for a cake stand..really

Zoe said...

I just love the cake stand Amanda, really beautiful.

Zoe