4 Oct 2010

My good bit of news....

It may have not been the best Origin ever but somehow I managed to win an award. As far as I'm aware this was the only award up for grabs this year (usually 3 or 4 for different mediums on show) so I made a point of applying in the mad rush up to leaving for London.

I won the Gold Award for innovation, creativity and potential to export 2010 awarded by the Crafts Council and Uk Trade and Investment. Over 200 contemporary craft makers exhibiting at Origin this year were eligible to apply and it provides the successful applicant with the opportunity to explore a chosen overseas market and get bespoke expert advice from an International Trade Advisor.

I chose America as my export market, mainly because there is a rich history of glass making and collecting out there and the fact it is the birth place of my medium of kiln formed glass. I'm not entirely sure what I am going to do yet but it will centre around visiting SOFA, a very large international exhibition of sculpture objects and functional art held in April in New York. I drool over the images at each show they put on (also shows in Chicago and Santa Fe) as it really is the pinnacle of modern applied arts.

Check back in Spring for a full report!

7 comments:

Hannah said...

We'll both be in America at the same time! Fancy that. How jet setting are we. Fab that you won.

doug Fitch said...

Wow, many congratulations

ang said...

well that's just too cool. sofa is massive!! congrats

Linda B said...

Congratulations! New York is very exciting

Christine H S said...

That is brilliant Amanda - Well done and much deserved! USA had better fasten their seat belts, because here you come....

ajsimmons said...

Thank you all for your kind words....brought back down to earth this morning with my kiln controller blowing up!...what fun! Cheers Amanda x

Aidan said...

Wonderful Blog, very well explained.
UK trade