20 Nov 2010

Exciting news for 2011

I've been like a cat on a hot tin roof last couple of weeks awaiting this good bit of news........

I've been selected by Craftscotland to show, alongside 11 other Scottish makers, at COLLECT 2011- The International Art Fair for Contemporary Objects. Run by the Crafts Council at the Saatchi Gallery in London 6-9 May.

I will be working on much larger scale vessels over winter in my new kiln (with an impressive 18" drop space) and incorporating much more cameo engraving before and after the slumping process. The coldworking is going to be fun through January/February but I will just have to become more hardy and keep a very good stock of wood for the studio burner.

The image is a starting process for me, finally using some of the research I obtained whilst working on a Craft Maker Award from D&G Council and Scottish Arts Council (now Creative Scotland). Cast glass slabs projected onto a wall with digital photography (No Photoshop!!)...I wanted to try and draw/paint with light as it so hard to re-create an accurate representation of how glass looks without using glass. I'm trying to loosen up my engraving by looking at the movement I created with the camera.

So that will be me for the next few months.......

7 comments:

Hannah said...

Oh my goodness! So so very exciting and you so so deserve it. I can't wait to see it all.x

ajsimmons said...

Thanks Hannah....so scary though, physically willing these pieces to work! A x

ang said...

how totally cool cant wait to see your progress on the pieces...woohoo!!

ajsimmons said...

Thanks Ang...still need to get the kiln all hooked up, must chase my electrician!

Margaret Brampton said...

Well done looking forward to coming to see that next year.

doug Fitch said...

Congratulations!

ajsimmons said...

Cheers Margaret and Doug....see you then Margaret. Doug, lateste firing looks wonderful...the glazes have really caught my attention, more than usual, lots going on with a beautiful lustre...you prove it is possible to keep functioning in this weather (I've come to a complete dead halt....)....you both keep warm out there A x